Sunday, October 5, 2008

Post #3

"Scientists Debate Possible Cell Phone Link to Brain Cancer". On September 25th 2008, congress debated about whether cell phones can cause brain cancer. Ronald Herberman and David Carpenter, the directors of health and cancer for Pittsburg University and Albany University were brought in to testify. Both of them agreed that they couldn't say cell phones were defiantly dangerous, but they also couldn't say they ere defiantly safe. Both also agreed that further testing was needed but pointed to a study done in Sweden that showed that people under twenty get brain cancer five times as often as others and that people who use cell phones are twice as often as others to get brain cancer. "Are we at the same place we were with smoking and lung cancer thirty years ago?" Carpenter asked. However Dr. Robert Hoover, who is the director of the national cancer institute, disagreed with Carpenter and Herberman, noting that brain cancer in children has not increased much from the late 1980s to now. I thought that this was an interesting article because I had never heard of cell phones causing cancer before. I don't think that this will stop me from using my cell phone because most experts still believe that cell phones cause no harm. But I do think that the US government should start tests on this like Sweden did because even though it is a small chance that cell phones do cause cancer there still is a chance and tests could save many peoples lives.

No comments: