Sunday, January 4, 2009

Outside Reading Quarter 2 Post #7

After Baba and Amir reach Pakistan they soon immigrate to America and live in an apartment in Freemont, California. Baba likes the idea of America and enjoys talking about politics, but misses Kabul and doesn't like the smog of the Bay Area. Baba also has rough times adjusting to his new life. One day when Baba goes to a grocery store he has gone to often and wants to but fruit with a check, the cashier asks him for his ID and Baba gets very angry and makes a mess in the store asking "What kind of country is this no one trusts anybody". Also when Amir graduates from high school Baba spends a lot of money on a nice dinner and than treats everyone in a nearby bar to plenty of drinks. Baba also pays for Amir to go to a junior college and buys him a car to get there, but is disappointed when Amir chooses to study creative writing. I think that the main theme of this chapter is the continuation of Baba adjusting to a new lifestyle. In this new lifestyle Baba still has his pride he had as a high class society member, which is shown when he refuses to go to ESL english classes and when he refuses to get food stamps the welfare office offers him. But something that is surprising about Baba and his new lifestyle is that Baba sacrifices a lot for Amir, even though the relationship between them hasn't been great and Baba previously had said that he almost couldn't believe that Amir was his son because the two are so different.

1 comment:

Daria said...

I have previously read The Kite Runner, and I loved it! I definitely agree with you that Baba has sacrificed a lot for Amir. I think that even though he didn't always relate well to his son, Baba always wanted the best for him even though he didn't always show it. If you think about it, his hiring of Hassan was also in Amir's best interests, although that didn't exactly work out to the best ending (so far). I also thought it was funny how Baba's pride kept getting in his way after he moved to America, and the fact that this often happens in our modern lives today.