I liked The Kite Runner a lot and it is one of my favorite books I have ever read for an outside reading project. The plotline was sad but was very good because of its many surprises. I also think I learned a lot about the history of Afghanistan while reading the book because the book starts in the 1970s and ends in 2002. Overall I enjoyed The Kite Runner a lot and would recommend it to anyone.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Final Quarter 2 Post
I finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini tonight. After Amir and Soraya get married they try to have children and are unable to. Amir is upset by this and sees this as a punishment for what he did in the past. Many years later Rahim Khan, Baba's friend calls and tells Amir to travel to Pakistan for urgent business. After Amir gets to Pakistan, Rahim Khan tells Amir that Hassan and his wife were killed by the Taliban and that Hassan is actually Amir's half brother. Rahim Khan also tells Amir that Hassan and his wife had a son Sohrab who is now in an orphanage. Amir decides to venture into Afghanistan to try and find Sohrab. Amir goes to the orphanage in Kabul but the owner tells him he has sold Sohrab to the Taliban and to speak with a Taliban man at a soccer game tomorrow to get him back. At the soccer game Amir watches this Taliban man kill two civilians in front of the whole crowd and than arranges a meeting with him at a Taliban headquarters. Amir arrives and realizes that the Taliban member is Assef, the same man who raped Hassan thirty years ago. Amir fights Assef and when Amir is almost dead Sohrab shoots Assef's eye out with a slingshot and they get away. After spending days in the hospital, Amir tries to adopt Sohrab but is unable to because of legal problems. Later that day Amir goes back on his promise to Sohrab ad tells him he will have to put put in an orphanage. Later that night Soraya calls to tell Amir that she got Sohrab a visa but when Amir finds Sohrab he is bleeding to death in the bathroom. Amir takes Sohrab to the hospital and he survives his suicide attempt. Amir ends up taking Sohrab back to America with him but Sohrab never says a word or smiles. Finally the book ends two years after Amir brings Sohrab to America with Sohrab smiling at Amir when they are flying a kite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey jack, I loved the book the Kite runner too. I don't know about you but what Assef was using Sorab for just made me sick, that was a sad part.
I keep meaning to read The Kite runner. I hear it is really really good!
Post a Comment